Mold Damage Tips
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, consider the following facts.
If you have a mold problem in your home or business, consider the following facts:
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO® for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
If you suspect that your home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO® has the training, equipment, and expertise to handle the situation.
March 2024 CE Courses for Insurance Agents
Calling all insurance agents!
Calling all insurance agents! SERVPRO® is hosting a complimentary CE course webinar on Wednesday, March 6, 2024. If you need continuing education credits, our team is Here to Help®!
The following webinar will be held on March 6, 2024:
9:30 AM - 11:30 PM: Biohazard Cleanup Webinar (2 Credits – Course Number: 85805)
Registration for the class begins at 8:30 AM and goes on until 9:30 AM. Attendees who sign up for the webinar will be required to have their web camera and microphone on throughout the entirety of the class. The webinar link to access the class will be sent via the provided email the week of the class.
All attendees are required to register for the courses by Friday, March 1, 2024. Class space is limited. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about registering!
We Can Handle Any Size Disaster
Our SERVPRO ® team has the resources and training to restore your commercial property.
When a commercial property experiences disruption due to water or fire damage, it can be difficult to imagine things getting back to normal operations. Cleaning and restoring commercial properties require a unique blend of training, experience, specialty equipment, and large labor forces. Our SERVPRO ® team has the resources and training to restore your commercial property while minimizing disruption to you and your clients.
Our team has worked commercial projects for a multitude of industries, including:
- Small Office Buildings
- Large Office/High-Rise Office Buildings
- Apartment Buildings
- Senior Facilities
- Small Retail Stores
- Large Retail/Big-Box Stores
- High-Rise Residential
- Manufacturing and Industrial
- Universities, Colleges, and K-12 Schools
No matter where water, fire, mold, or storm damage occurs, the SERVPRO ® team is the one you want to call.
Water Damage Timeline
Do you know how quickly intrusive water damage can be to your property?
Do you know how quickly intrusive water damage can be to your property? SERVPRO® knows how quickly it can take for even a small amount of water can negatively affect your home or business.
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
One to Two Hours
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to crack and swell.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to One Week
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than One Week
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risk to occupants.
Winter Water Damage
With below freezing temperatures, snow, and ice, your home or business could be in jeopardy of water damage.
Michigan winters are known to be brutally cold and large amounts of snow are always expected. With below freezing temperatures, snow, and ice, your home or business could be in jeopardy of water damage. It is crucial that you are aware of the hazards and can prepare, prevent or act quickly if faced with winter water damage.
A frozen pipe can burst at the point where the ice blockage inside the pipe is located, but typically the rupture is caused by the backflow pressure between the water source and the blockage. A burst pipe can cause considerable damage to your property if not addressed quickly.
Ice dams can be a major problem during the winter season. They form when heated air melts roof snow downward into water dammed behind still-frozen ice. When the trapped water cannot safely flow or run into the gutter system, it can backflow under the roof ’s shingles and into the structure’s interior areas.
Cold weather, snow, and ice storms can cause severe damage to your home or business. When these types of disasters strike, immediate action is necessary to prevent additional damage to your property. Our team has winter storm experience, expertise, and the resources to remediate damage caused by winter weather. If disaster strikes your home or business during the winter months, know that SERVPRO® has your back.
The Hazards of Smoking
Smoking cigarettes can cause deadly fires.
The dangers of smoking go beyond the harmful effects it has on one’s body. Smoking cigarettes can cause deadly fires. According to the National Fire Protection Association, an estimated annual average of 18,000 house fires are caused by smoking. Follow the tips below to avoid any fire damage to your property.
- Smoke Outdoors - Smoking indoors increases the risk of a fire. Asking visitors to smoke outside can avoid residential fires. When cigarette butts are left inside the home furniture, books, curtains, and flammable items are more at risk of catching fire.
- Only Use Ashtrays to Get Rid of Cigarette Ash - Tossing cigarette butts anywhere like in plants or onto grass can increase the risk of fire. Dry leaves and plants can easily ignite from an open flame. Utilize a receptacle specifically made to contain cigarette ash.
- Never Smoke When Sleepy - If you do smoke inside, take care not to light up while you are feeling sleepy. Falling asleep in your bed or couch with a lit cigarette can be deadly.
Smoking is a common habit but poses a serious fire risk. If your home ever suffers from fire damage, SERVPRO is the team to call.
SERVPRO Can Help Your Business
SERVPRO can provide specialized services to maintain the best appearance of your facility.
SERVPRO is committed to providing expert fire and water cleanup and restoration services to reduce business interruptions and recovery costs. Our team can also provide specialized commercial cleaning services to maintain the best appearance of your facility.
- Fire, Smoke and Soot Cleanup and Restoration: Pretesting helps us determine what type of fire has taken place. Knowing the types of smoke and their behavior patterns are vital to proper restoration.
- Water Removal and Dehumidification: Our professionals identify the source and type of water which determines the proper course of action. Drying equipment controls temperature and humidity, minimizing secondary damage.
- Biohazard and Vandalism Cleanup: SERVPRO franchise technicians are trained to safely and effectively clean biohazardous substances and prepare waste for proper disposal according to OSHA, EPA, and state and local health regulations.
- Mold Mitigation and Remediation: Our professionals work to control and remediate mold contaminants while protecting your health and safety.
- Contents Claim Inventory: Accurate inventory helps keep cost low and reduces job completion time. Our professionals can provide an itemized, area-by-area loss inventory.
What to Do Until Help Arrives – Storm Damage
When storm damage strikes, a fast response is critical.
When storm damage strikes, a fast response is critical. Day or night, residents and business owners can expect our SERVPRO team to respond immediately to your storm emergency. While it’s best to leave the restoration work to the professionals, there are some actions home and business owners can take while waiting for our team to arrive on-site.
What You Can Do While Waiting for Help to Arrive
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
Grilling Season Is Here
Grilling season is upon us!
Summer is right around the corner which means grilling season is upon us! Follow our helpful tips to keep yourself and your properties safe from fire damage during grilling season.
- All grills should be used in an open area outside. Keep away from the side of your house, garage, eaves, railings, and overhanging branches.
- Keep your grill free of grease buildup by cleaning it after each use once the grill has completely cooled.
- Never add lighter fluid after coals have been ignited.
- Never leave cooking food or an open flame unattended.
- Let charcoal cool completely before disposing in a metal container. When disposing of it, make sure the area is inaccessible for children and pets.
- For propane or gas grills, check for leaks before firing it up.